Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dandelions


I've always loved Dandelions. I know they are a weed ( A weed is only a flower that you don't want--said the Flower Farm expert on one of my childrens field trips.) but I have always liked them... can you tell I am just dying for spring here .( too long of a winter) so I am finding that its the little things that are giving me the greatest joy right now.
Loved these as a kid when they were dry and you blew the seeds all over . ( I am sure my father hated that.) It was fun to pop off the tops between your thumb and forefinger. ..."mama had a baby and it's head popped off"... ok, a little gruesome but I really don't know where the saying came from , it was just fun to pop the heads off.
We later had a dog, "Merlin" who was a Basenji. He was the oddest dog. He would spend hours popping the heads off the dandelions in the yard...He also would pop off the raspberries , just to hear the pop.
But the best memories was as a young mother to have my children bring in a handfull of "pretty flowers"for me.
I know these won't last for long so I ran out and took some pictures of them this morning. My husband didn't see them in the yard yet . When he does it will be time for the weed and feed. too bad. He never has enjoyed these as much as I have. This is one of those things that we agree to disagree on.

No comments:

Post a Comment